Introducing a guru of Fitness Business Strategy – Bill McBride! Bill is a health club industry veteran, he has worked in all aspects of sales, marketing, leadership, management, member experience and operations and currently serves as the Co-Founder, President & CEO of Active Sports Clubs. During this episode we chat to Bill about the threat of substitution and what it means for a fitness business. Bill shares with us the characteristics he looks for in managers of his clubs and he narrows down his top 3 critical components to a strategic plan.
Also in this weeks show, we welcome one of our new sponsors – Tribe Team Training who are global leaders in providing Team Training solutions to health and fitness clubs around the world!
- 00: 39 – Introduction to Bill McBride
- 02:00 – What does the threat of substitution mean for a fitness business?
- 06:01 – What characteristics do you look for in your club managers?
- 08:59 – How have consumers changed their purchasing behavior?
- 11:02 – Top 3 critical components to a strategic plan
- 18: 34 – Introducing Tribe Team Training
- 25: 10 – Top 5 takeaways from this weeks show
Top Tips From The Show
- Your offering needs to be around habit formation, motivation, inspiration, engagement, social engagement – these are the things that will drive results.
- Spend time working on your strategic plan to understand what your value proposition and value chain is.
- Once you have the core aspects of a strategic plan, you should take that out to the rest of the company, and create conversation, involvement and communication about what that plan means.
- For most organizations, strategic planning takes place as a 1-3 year plan, but you need to re-visit regularly – it has to evolve based on opportunities and based on your market place.
- You need to have goals and objectives on a 30, 60, 90 day period and combine that with a ‘deep-dive’ quarterly review.
Inspirational Quotes From The Experts
“You can’t have a strategy without clarity around who you are, what you’re trying to accomplish and what your strengths are” Bill McBride
“At the end of the day, the only thing that we offer people is motivation and accountability, helping them form habits that push them to a level they couldn’t do on their own, in an environment that they enjoy” Bill McBride
Resources Our Experts Shared In The Show
Tweetables – share the Experts knowledge to #GROW
Share Your Thoughts
Tell us your #1 Takeaway from this show or what success you have had from implementing an idea you heard here! Comment below and you could win a 3 minute interview on the Fitness Business Podcast! Subscribe to The Fitness Business Podcast Channel to receive all our podcasts as they go live!