Kayley Riddle is the Owner and Director of People Engine, working with businesses to align their workforce actions with their strategy every day to improve performance and profit.
Kayley began in the Health and Fitness Industry, working in Group Fitness and Personal Training while completing University study. She went on to perform in various management roles, including the National People Manager for the Australian LivingWell clubs within Hilton International. With her experience in club re-branding and openings, she relocated to London as a Director of Human Resources, leading teams and opening several hotels across the Hilton family of brands.
Now as the head of People Engine, it’s easy to see how Kayley’s passion and experience have made her an expert coach in Human Resources, recruiting the best people, retaining them and maximizing performance all leading to healthy profits. And making her the perfect guest for todays show!
- 00:00 – Introducing this weeks show
- 03:02 – Meeting Kayley Riddle
- 04:00 – Why is it that so many fitness businesses don’t have an HR department?
- 05:14 – Where should we start when it comes to HR?
- 06:56 – Tools and questions for selecting people for our business
- 11:17 – Leadership tips for women in fitness
- 14:32 – Message from Industry Leaders Roundtable
- 15:01 – Three tips for having a strong HR department
- 16:02 – BONUS Segment Sue Richard from Tribe Team Training
- 24:31 – Precor Quick Five Five with Michelle Bowden
- 26:38 – Top take-aways from this weeks show
Top Tips From The Show
- If you don’t have an HR department, then consider investing in an annual HR plan for your business.
- Role play works well in an interview because you get to see peoples behaviour.
- Make sure performance reviews aren’t just a tick box process.
- Always link performance reviews to development plans.
- As a leader, its important to utilise coaching.
- Measure and benchmark your business annually.
Inspirational Quotes From The Experts
“Leadership is a conscious choice” – Kayley Riddle
Resources Our Experts Shared In The Show
Kayley is able to offer a complimentary Business Health Check to those who mention this podcast and contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 8 Dimensions of Leadership by Jeffrey Sugerman, Mark Scullard and Emma Wilhelm – because I use a lot of DiSC profiling to help leaders build their capability and this is a great resource that compliments the coaching.
How to Lead a Quest by Dr Jason Fox – easy to read and some good concepts around pioneering organizational leadership.
Guiliani Leadership – a great book for people like me who love autobiographies and learning from others’ experiences.
Sue Richard – Tribe Team Training
Book Recommendation by QFF Michelle Bowden
Show 57 – Bill McBride
Tweetables – Share The Experts Knowledge To #STRENGTHEN
Share Your Thoughts
Tell us your #1 Takeaway from this show or what success you have had from implementing an idea you heard here! Comment below and you could win a 3 minute interview on the Fitness Business Podcast!
Subscribe to The Fitness Business Podcast Channel to receive all our podcasts as they go live!