This week we answer all your questions about starting, running and growing group training in a PT studio or fitness club with our special guest Adrian Antigua from Gainesville Health and Fitness, USA.
Adrian Antigua is the general manager and sales manager for Gainesville Health and Fitness in Florida, USA, which includes a 75,000 square foot club with over 28,000 members. After graduating from the University of Florida, he quickly discovered his passion for fitness, the power of company culture, and the customer experience, sharing his insights via blogs on sites such as clubsolutionsmagazine.com.
During this weeks show, Adrian gives us some key insights into group fitness at Gainesville Health and Fitness, including attendance, frequency and cost. He shares how they implemented small group training in their club, who they hire to run the sessions, how they sell a paid SGT class to members and how they interview new team members.
- 00:50 – Celebrating 50 shows!
- 03:30 – Meeting Adrian Antigua from Gainesville Health and Fitness
- 04:57 – Quick Fire Five with Adrian Antigua
- 07:50 – What was Gainesville running before Tribe Team Training
- 08:36 – Why did you want group training in the club?
- 09:35 – How did you find space within the club for small group training?
- 10:35 – How have you branded spaces within the club?
- 12:50 – Why did Gainesville choose Tribe Team Training?
- 14:47 – How do you sell a paid small group class to existing members?
- 16:33 – How long did it take to get impact when changing to SGT?
- 18:23 – Who are the best instructors for SGT?
- 19:43 – Why employ rather than sub-contract?
- 20:44 – What is Gainesville hiring process?
- 23:21 – Can Small Group Training cannibalize Personal Training?
- 25:24 – Benchmarks for retention in group training
- 27:17 – Examples of driving retention within programs
- 29:20 – Sponsor message from Visual Fitness Planner
- 31:22 – Ten takes aways from the 2016 ESSA conference with Max Martin
Top Tips From The Show
Results will be the biggest key indicator of whether or not people will stay.
It’s important you stay ahead of the market, looking at whats coming up next.
Consider having a dedicated space in your club for Small Group Training.
The best Small Group Training instructors are those that have the passion for it – and it helps if they can multi-task!
Consider including a physical challenge/workout in your hiring process.
Small Group Training gave members an extra tier/level of training that may not have wanted 1:1 or group training.
Inspirational Quotes From The Experts
“Hire slow and fire fast” Adrian Antigua
“Retention is everything that you do” Adrian Antigua
Resources Our Experts Shared In The Show
Tweetables – Share The Experts Knowledge To #STRENGTHEN
Share Your Thoughts
Tell us your #1 Takeaway from this show or what success you have had from implementing an idea you heard here! Comment below and you could win a 3 minute interview on the Fitness Business Podcast!
Subscribe to The Fitness Business Podcast Channel to receive all our podcasts as they go live!