We are kicking off the year with a guest by the name of Ray Algar. Ray is the Managing Director of Oxygen Consulting, he has a wealth of knowledge and has been analysing and commentating on the industry’s evolution for the past 15 years.
He talks to us today about some of his recent research around fitness substitutes which he’ll explain exactly what they are during the chat. We talk about a project he has done on boutique fitness studios and last of all we discuss Gymtopia, which you may recall I have mentioned in a few earlier shows. Gymtopia is a website that shares stories on how the global health and fitness industry uses the power of philanthropy to reach out and support people and communities.
- 00:00 – Introducing this weeks show
- 02:40 – Meeting Ray Algar
- 03:25 – Apps, rituals and habits to help stay on top of a busy workload
- 07:12 – Tell us about your most recent project from Oxygen Consulting
- 12:18 – What advice can you give to club owners who are competing against a Fitness Substitute?
- 18:13 – Can you tell us about the report you did on Boutique Fitness Studios?
- 26:34 – An Overview on Gymtopia
- 33:30 – Take-aways from this weeks show
Top Tips From The Show
- Consider the competition that exists outside of traditional places you may be used to. Ray calls these ‘Fitness Substitutes’ and he gave examples like outdoor bootcamp or Zumba in a local community hall or church.
- Often participants who attend a Fitness Substitute have a strong connection to the instructor, which makes me ask the question, are our big club owners putting enough focus into their relationship with their GX instructors to ensure they foster that connection those instructors have with members?
- In regards to Gymtopia, I want to remind you to think about the Good Gym example that Ray talked about. They are turning a workout into exercise that is socially useful, and he gave the example of taking a run to a local nursing home to visit people that may not have had a visitor in a while. That is just one example, but perhaps have a think about how you could relate that to your fitness business and your local community.
Inspirational Quotes From The Experts
“It’s about doing less, but elevating what you do” – Ray Algar
Resources Our Experts Shared In The Show
Show 62 – Vickie Saunders
Tweetables – Share The Experts Knowledge To #STRENGTHEN
Share Your Thoughts
Tell us your #1 Takeaway from this show or what success you have had from implementing an idea you heard here! Comment below and you could win a 3 minute interview on the Fitness Business Podcast!
Subscribe to The Fitness Business Podcast Channel to receive all our podcasts as they go live!