Working in almost every role a fitness business has to offer, Rhys Cutifani was General Manager of the Southern Cross Health Club when awarded Australian Health & Fitness Facility of the year by Fitness Australia in 2008.
Over the last 6 years Rhys & his wife Bridie have opened 18 Anytime Fitness Franchises and currently own and operate 7 AF clubs around Australia. They were awarded Australian Franchisee’s of the year in 2009 & 2010, and most recently won International Franchisee of the Year 2013. Rhys’ group of clubs goal is to ‘add 100,000 healthy life years by 2020’ to their members lives. During the show Rhys talks about the main differences between a franchise club and an independent club, the importance of community involvement in business success and his top keys to success for a franchise club owner.
Our second guest, Troy Morgan is from Willows Health Group and a long time member of REX Roundtables. He gives us a insights into his experiences with a Roundtable group, the meetings, the tasks, the accountability and the support from other members.
- 01:54 – What’s on this weeks show
- 02:40 – Introduction to Rhys Cutifani from Anytime Fitness
- 05:02 – Getting started with Anytime Fitness
- 07:24 – Differences between independent clubs and franchises
- 10:30 – How important community engagement is
- 11:47 – Examples of community based initiatives
- 16:15 – Top tips for franchise owners
- 19:19 – Introducing Troy Morgan from Willows Health Group
- 20:00 – Business before becoming a Roundtable member
- 21:39 – Benefits of being on a Roundtable
- 23:01 – What numbers are tracked in Roundtable meetings
- 24:49 – How long did it take to see the benefits
- 26:00 – Challenges faced along the journey
- 28:50 – Special announcement….
- 30:10 – Podcast summary
Top Tips From The Show
- Franchise ownership opens you up to an instant network of people who are in the same situation, so you can share and learn from others.
- Community engagement should form part of your key strategy for a franchise business.
- People care about local projects, giving back to those in their community.
- If you choose to own a franchise, stick with the model, don’t try and change it, people need to have a consistent experience.
- Utilize the network of your franchise. Talk, share and connect with others in your network, they are going through the same as you.
Resources Our Experts Shared In The Show
Industry Leader Roundtables
WIN – Suunto Ambit 3 Sport Black Heart Rate Monitor!!
Tweetables – share the Experts knowledge to #GROW
Share Your Thoughts
Tell us your #1 Takeaway from this show or what success you have had from implementing an idea you heard here! Comment below and you could win a 3 minute interview on the Fitness Business Podcast!
Subscribe to The Fitness Business Podcast Channel to receive all our podcasts as they go live!