27 Nov 028 Bill Besselman – How Embracing Technology Can Help You Better Engage With Members And Clients
Bill Besselman is the VP of Connected Fitness Strategy and Integration at Under Armour. Bill manages all aspects of Under Armour’s digital strategy development, including integration of recent acquisitions MapMyFitness, MyFitnessPal and Endomondo into the Under Armour business.
During his time leading the corporate strategy team Bill’s role was to identify, gather, and drive strategic initiatives and the voice of the customer across UA’s innovation, product, marketing, and channel teams.
During this weeks interview talk to Bill about:
- Common trends from data collected from Under Armour apps.
- How they are keeping people engaged with the apps.
- How will the digital world work in conjunction with the fitness industry?
- How much does Under Armour really know about their customers?
- Advise for fitness industry professionals around embracing technology.
Top Tips From The Show
- Just like in a gym environment, early engagement for new members is instrumental. Bill says, on day zero, we need to help them find friends in their community. Those people who find two or more connections in the first day, their probability of staying around for that first year – sky rockets!
- Key elements to keep people motivated are: Social engagement, Content and Coaching tips – helping people understand what all the data means to them.
- With the right apps, a personal trainer can be with their client all day.
- A personal trainers role has the opportunity to become increasingly important, because they have access to data and knowledge and they will have more reach into their clients life than they have ever had before.
- When it comes to technology, you can run and hide, you can curse it, or you can embrace it.
- As for the future, Bill suggests to go back to your mission, what’s your purpose? If you focus on your purpose you will see that technology is a great enabler, that it will help you do what you intend to do in a way that you couldn’t do before.
Inspirational Quotes From The Experts
“A personal trainers role has the opportunity to become increasingly important, because they have access to data and knowledge and they will have more reach into their clients life than they have ever had before” Bill Besselman
“Go back to your mission, what’s your purpose? If you focus on your purpose you will see that technology is a great enabler, that it will help you do what you intend to do in a way that you couldn’t do before” Bill Besselman
Resources Our Experts Shared In The Show
Chantal announces the winner of the Profit First Book!
Tweetables – share the Experts knowledge to #GROW
[Tweet “We are at the tip of the iceberg as far as trends we are seeing @Bbesselman“]
[Tweet “The challenge is taking data and putting it together to tell athletes what to do next @Bbesselman“]
[Tweet “What we are in search for is the integration of all those facts into outcomes @Bbesselman“]
[Tweet “Social engagement is very important to keep people motivated @Bbesselman“]
[Tweet “With the right apps, a personal trainer can be with their client all day @Bbesselman“]
[Tweet “Embrace technology, you will find you end up on the winning side of the equation @Bbesselman“]
Share Your Thoughts
Tell us your #1 Takeaway from this show or what success you have had from implementing an idea you heard here! Comment below and you could win a 3 minute interview on the Fitness Business Podcast!