This weeks guest is the editor of Health Club Management Magazine – Kate Cracknell. She joined the company in 2006 and has led the magazine to become a leading title for the health and fitness industry around the world.
During the interview, Kate shares:
- why it’s so important to keep your customer front of mind
- what Brexit means for the UK fitness industry
- she challenges clubs on how their interacting with members and connecting with the inactive community
- some insider tips on how to get PR for your business
Also during this weeks show we have a very special announcement and we have next weeks guest, Jay Baer join us for a round of Quick Fire Five.
- 00:50 – Introducing this weeks show
- 04:49 – Meeting Kate Cracknell
- 05:32 – Kate tells us about Health Club Management Magazine
- 07:00 – What is the Health Club Management Handbook?
- 08:12 – How do you identify your customer?
- 10:17 – Tips for club owners to understand your customer
- 11:35 – How will Brexit impact the fitness industry?
- 14:55 – What effect might club changes and ownership changes have on the industry?
- 17:46 – Are there any major trends in the future that will effect the fitness industry?
- 25:30 – What do you look for in PR?
- 26:50 – Tips on getting PR for your fitness business
- 28:29 – Sponsor messgage
- 28:51 – Kates Fitbizpiration – business tips to strengthen your business
- 32:55 – Quick Fire Five with Jay Baer
- 37:24 – Top Take-aways
Top Tips From The Show
If gyms want to get more people active, they need to start at the beginning. Get people walking down the street first.
Why not sell virtual gym memberships where people come in for advice once a month but don’t even use your facilities?
By 2020, depression will be the 2nd biggest cause of premature death and disability. What does your gym offer for that?
Too much still stays the same in health clubs. Service standards still aren’t great, member retention is still shocking.
Inspirational Quotes From The Experts
Talk to your customers and talk to your prospects – Kate Cracknell
If gyms want to get more people active, they need to start at the beginning. Get people walking down the street first – Kate Cracknell
Resources Our Experts Shared In The Show
Subscribe to Health Club Management for FREE
Read the current edition of Health Club Management
Read the current edition of the Health Club Management Handbook (download a pdf or launch the online version from the website)
Access several years of back issues for FREE
Gymtopia series – a few examples:
Franco’s Athletic Club, US: http://lei.sr?a=J0S2P
Fifth Avenue Club, Calgary, Canada: http://lei.sr?a=o5U0L
Hukka, Finland: http://lei.sr?a=Q1T5Q
Midtown Athletic Club, US: http://lei.sr?a=b4w2k
If there are any other interviews you want to read, just go to the HCM website and type the person’s name into the ‘search features’ box.
Book Recommended by Jay Baer
Procrastinate On Purpose
Show 51 – Jeb Blount
Tweetables – Share The Experts Knowledge To #STRENGTHEN
Share Your Thoughts
Tell us your #1 Takeaway from this show or what success you have had from implementing an idea you heard here! Comment below and you could win a 3 minute interview on the Fitness Business Podcast!
Subscribe to The Fitness Business Podcast Channel to receive all our podcasts as they go live!