28 Aug 015 Proven strategies for developing yourself and your team through in-house training, leadership techniques and ongoing education
Mark Miller is the Vice President of Merritt Athletic Clubs and has over 20 years of experience at the Senior Management level. He is responsible for the day-to-day management and operations of 9 clubs and over 800 staff. Mark’s expertise lies in leadership, staff development, revenue generation through both sales and non-dues revenue programming, strategic operations and systems development.
During this show, we ask Mark three questions:
- How do you define visionary leadership, and what do you do to live that?
- Why type of professional development do you do to lead your team?
- What are your top 3 tips for new managers starting in the industry?
Top Tips From The Show
- Mark renamed his manager roles leader roles, he believes people rise to expectations.
- For yourself and your team, always look for ways to get better. This may be through books, discussions, challenge the process, riffle shots / experiments / look at simplifying and more efficient, looking outside the fitness industry at what other industries are doing.
- Instead of calling front desk a front desk, they call it the welcome desk!
- Managers think of command and control type, leaders think of trust and track
- If we believe it in our heart and head, then we can deliver it and model it, and everyone else can do it.
- Find mentors for your personal growth, find someone who wants to help you grow
- Give yourself time and belief, there’s no such thing as failure, its simply a means to learning.
Inspirational Quotes From The Experts
“Visionary leadership is leadership that sets the course for the future.” Mark Miller
“Leadership is about knowing your purpose. It’s about development and growth of others, about operating out of love, not fear. Leaders set the tone, they inspire the vision, they model it, they challenge it and they challenge the process of how and what we do.” Mark Miller
Resources Our Experts Shared In The Show
BOOKS recommended by Mark Miller:
The Leadership Challenge – James Kouzes and Barry Posner
How To Win Friends And Influence People – Dale Carnegie
The Advantage – Pat Lencioni
The 5 Dysfunctions Of A Team – Pat Lencioni
Tweetables – share the Experts knowledge to #GROW
[Tweet “”Leaders are the ones that say “why not” rather than “yes, but” Mark Miller @MerrittClubs”]
[Tweet “”Managers command and control. Leaders trust and track” Mark Miller @MerrittClubs”]
[Tweet “”My job is to develop my leaders” Mark Miller @MerrittClubs”]
[Tweet “”Growth needs to be Personal, Professional and Family” Mark Miller @MerrittClubs”]