The issue of privacy around the use of data has become increasingly prevalent over the past 12 months. We had the introduction of the GDPR in 2018 and more and more often we are seeing clubs and studios invest in new technology, including the use of biometrics. For these reasons and more, it’s essential that club operators have a good understanding of the privacy guidelines that affect the collection and use of customer data and information.
What you’ll learn
- What is the GDPR?
- How do GDPR rules affect gym owners in 2019?
- What are biometrics and how do they affect our business?
- Website accessibility for people with disabilities
- 00:29 Thank you to our podcast partner Precor
- 01:03 What’s coming up on this weeks show
- 01:19 Introducing Helen Durkin from IHRSA
- 03:01 Thank you to our podcast partner Precor
- 03:50 What is the GDPR
- 06:31 How do GDPR rules affect gym owners in 2019
- 09:50 Is there anything else we need to know about privacy rules?
- 12:06 What are biometrics and how do they affect our business
- 20:36 Best practice around data usage
- 23:13 Message from Medallia MXM
- 23:48 Website accessibility for people with disabilities
- 29:50 Guidelines for website accessibility
- 31:30 Final message from Helen Durkin
- 32:38 Thank you to our podcast partner Tribe Team Training
- 33:13 Precor Quick Fire Five with Robert Barnes
- 36:39 Thank you to our podcast partner Active Management
Precor Quick Fire Five Guest, Robert Barnes
Resources our experts shared in the show
As discussed with Helen Durkin:
- 5 Things Gym Operators Need to Know about GDPR
- The Global Fitness Industry Prepares for GDPR
- Data Privacy & Biometric Survey
- Biometric Data Privacy
- Website Accessibility
- W3C Accessibility Standards/Guidelines
- ADA Best Practices Tool Kit for State and Local Governments Website Accessibility Checklist
App Recommended by Robert Barnes: Align Today App
Book Recommended by Robert Barnes: Own The Day, Own Your Life